Friday, December 14, 2012

12.12.12


I was doing a lot of thinking and reflecting a few days ago on December 12, 2012.

It felt like a significant day. 12.12.12.

There was something so beautiful and haunting about the fact that this is the last time a day, month and year will align (well, at least for another century). The rationalist in me realizes that there isn't really any significance to human-designed numeric constructs of time, but the romantic in me thought it to be a day worthy of introspective reflection.

I thought about what I have accomplished in my life so far. I thought about the direction my life is heading now and what countless opportunities still lay before me. I felt a tremendous amount of gratitude for all that I have achieved in my life so far and I felt excited about the prospect of the upcoming year. Though I considered writing down some resolutions and goals, I decided to save that tradition for News Years, as usual. Still, it didn't stop me from thinking about the things I would like to accomplish in the ensuing weeks, months and years to come.

I'm not a particularly goal-oriented person. I fantasize a great deal and pursue my passions but I don't have a "plan" in life. I go with my instincts, keep an open heart and mind, and take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way. Last year my News Years resolution was to say "yes" to life and I believe that this is exactly how I lived my life this past year. It resulted in me achieving a great deal of success. I felt my fair share of stress as well; I over-committed to work obligations, social engagements and personal projects ,but at the end of the day, I haven't regretted a single endeavor.

Life is beautiful and life is fleeting.
So much can happen in the blink of an eye....
           You can fall in love -
           Lose your life -
           Win a battle -
           Fall apart -
           Make a difference -

Was 12.12.12 a particularly special or miraculous day? Not at all. It was a day like any other. A day full of potential and promise. The sun rose and set and we humans all across the globe went about living our lives. A few of us may have stopped for a few minutes and reflected upon the symmetrical date, some of us may have even treated this date as a special occasion to celebrate or pursue a goal, but the majority of the world went on living. A cool reminder that every day can be special if you chose for it to be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment