Sunday, October 14, 2012

Beginnings


So it begins....

....the start of my new life here in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

In Writing.

It feels like only yesterday that I was offered this dream job. What started off as a casual dinner with an old family friend at the Legal Seafoods Restaurant in the Westin Hotel in Boston quickly turned into a life changing opportunity. I honestly have not been able to stop smiling since February. Keeping this job a secret for so many months was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I was so worried that something was going to go wrong or my visa wouldn't get approved, or the school would rescind their offer, but sure enough here I am....seven months later, living my dream.

It has taken me a good long month (ok, two) to get myself settled into life in Riyadh but it is slowly shaping itself into normalcy. Alright, no, not really. Not a single day here has ever felt "normal". I am still very much in a honeymoon phase of bliss and joy. I've had a tough day or two since I've been here, but overall, I have been so incredibly happy and elated.
I know that I should have started this blog right away when I first arrived in Riyadh but as one can imagine, I was a little caught up in the joy and thrill of being here that I didn't have time to write down all that I was feeling.

That being said, I did send out numerous emails to various friends and family members keeping them apprised of my progress, feelings and adventures those first couple of weeks. It was by no means enough, but it was an attempt to record my thoughts and ideas and initial feelings as they were happening. I'm going to copy and paste some of those early emails in subsequent blog posts to try and capture those initial reactions and feelings upon my arrival to the magical kingdom of Saudi Arabia.




 Entry Card to the Kingdom









First Views of the Saudi Desert

(I could hardly breathe from joy and happiness)








No comments:

Post a Comment