Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Saudi Souks

Saudi Souks (or open markets) are my most favorite place to be.

Markets in general, but Saudi Souks in particular.

There is so much to see and discover and be amazed by. There are factory-made fabrications of relics in one stall and one of a kind original creations in the next. Behind every curtain is a mini-paradise waiting to be explored.

Those of you who know me know that "heckling" for prices is not really my thing. In fact I HATE talking about money (in either a positive or a negative way). It is my goal this upcoming weekend when I go to the Kuwaiti Souk (not sure why its called "Kuwaiti" since it is in Riyadh) is to argue a price of an item. Even if I bring him down 10 riyals (the equivalent of a few bucks) I will consider it worth it.

Wish me luck.

Here are some photos from my last adventure to the souks. You have to be very sneaky with your camera since these guys don't like being photographed. All these photos were taken surreptitiously with my iPhone and I was terrified upon taking every shot. They hardly do the souks justice, but they bring back fond memories and will hopefully allow for one's imagination to start stirring.










No comments:

Post a Comment