Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Ultimate Desert Dream

I just read the most amazing article about what has now become my new dream vacation ....


CNN's Inside the Middle East 
"Following in Lawrence of Arabia's Footsteps in Jordanian Desert"


**Link to the article here: 
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/23/world/meast/lawrence-of-arabia-jordan-anniversary/index.html

My heart was fluttering during the entire reading of this article. Even now I can hardly think about anything else. I absolutely MUST do this! Can you imagine...camel trekking through the desert that Lawrence of Arabia himself once traversed? Seeing and smelling the same land and mountains that inspired him to write his epic and moving autobiographical "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"? The thought is almost too much for me to bear. Just look at the image above! To do that -- to trek through the desert with nothing but myself and a camel and bare living necessities is my idea of a dream vacation. No five star resorts for me, just pure immersion in nature. 

I have to look into the details of planning this trip. I wonder how much it costs (for a guide, camel, supplies, plane ticket). I wonder how it gets organized and by whom. How long would the journey be? Who would I go with? I've never gone on a vacation by myself. As intense as this one looks I feel like this would be the perfect trip to do alone. Lawrence wrote of the beauty, inspiration and awesome power of the desert in a way that was so personal and intimate. I don't know if this is an experience I could share with just about anyone. I see this journey as more spiritual than adventurous. I definitely need to do this by myself. I have a feeling it would be truly life changing and a real challenge for me both physically and spiritually. 

I've really got to do more research....

As a teacher, your life really does become defined by your vacations. Though I love my job, fantasizing about vacations down the road is the only thing that gets me through the day sometimes. Weekends too. I've found in my past three years as an educator that it is so important to live your life as a series of small goals and finish lines. It makes the small stresses of life more bearable and small rewards (such as spending leisurely time at the pool on a Friday afternoon, or taking the time to make a nice big meal on Wednesday night) keep you motivated and driven to succeed.

These next few weeks are full of trials and tribulations and deadlines and stresses. Thinking about them too much actually puts me in a mild state of panic, but I do not allow that mindset to consume me. Rather, I think about the fact that tonight I'm making curry and tomorrow morning I get to start my day with a nice yoga session. Two seemingly simple and uneventful treats for myself, but reminders nonetheless that no matter how crazy life gets, there are always small joys to be had. 


T. E. Lawrence with his camel "Jedha" ("a splendid beast")

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes I have!!! Coincidentally on YOUR father's recommendation! Seriously, one of the greatest books I've ever read.....

      Delete