Monday, January 7, 2013

Back to Life (with Gusto!)

It feels so great to be writing again.

Returning back to Riyadh after an extremely restful, fun and invigorating vacation in the States was depressing at first, but now that I am back into my old routines I am filled with a rejuvenated sense of drive and purpose. The smile has returned to my face. I feel strong, motivated and happy.

In addition to providing my body and mind with some much needed rest, one of the most positive outcomes of my vacation was that it instilled within me an insatiable hunger for reading and writing.

Though I have always loved reading and writing, they are often the first two things to fall to the wayside when I get stressed or exhausted. I resort to watching mindless television shows or internet browsing to pass the time, as my brain usually feels "too exhausted" to do anything more intellectually stimulating. This vacation I devoured four books over a two week period and I am still hungering for more. Aside from going to the gym, the only way I wish to spend my free time now is by reading and writing.

The last book I finished reading was a short memoir by Stephen King called "On Writing". In it, he describes his life and the twists and turns and insights that shaped his life as an early writer. What impressed me most, aside from his refreshing candor, was how hard he works. He writes for several hours every single day. True, he does not have a full time job aside from writing, but still....that's impressive. He has tremendous discipline, motivation and work ethic. I was truly inspired by his words, life views and the advice he gave (both directly and indirectly) about how much work is required in order to successfully pursue one's dreams. Though writing several hours every day is not a feasible life for me right now, it is one I aspire to. How wonderful would it be to just sit and write all morning in a beautiful house in Maine? That seems like pure bliss to me.

As one of my New Years Resolutions, I am going to attempt to write for 30 minutes - 1 hour every single day. There are currently three writing projects I am working on: my personal journal, this blog and a book about education. The book is a major work in progress. It is a compilation of stories, anecdotes and reflections about teaching and my experiences as a young teacher. I started writing it under the suggestion of my mother and I love the idea of it. It has the potential to be an incredible book, if only I could sit myself down and focus on it for several hours every day. I've set the goal for myself to finish a draft of it by the end of this summer. It is going to take a great deal of work and deliberation, but I am determined for finish it! I honestly think it has the potential to change lives and inspire hours.

Though I struggled with self-confidence in my late teenage years well into my early twenties, I've always had an incredibly inflated sense of self worth. Since I was a young girl my parents have been drilling into my head that I was born destined for greatness. They've always made me feel as though my thoughts were precious and worthwhile. As a result of their tireless support and encouragement, I too have come to believe that I am destined for great things. At times I am embarrassed by this egocentric thinking and feel as though I may think too highly of myself, but I am beginning to see that this positive self-image is by no means rooted in pompousness or arrogance, but rather it is a mindset that continues to inspire me and challenge me to be greater than I currently am.

Keeping me grounded, through all the changes and ups and downs I've experienced and gone through in my life, is a deep appreciation for all that surrounds me. I feel incredibly grateful for all that I have in my life and for all of the people in it that support me with nothing but love and adoration. I recognize that mine is a life of privilege and it is for that very reason I feel so driven to succeed and make a difference in the world. Be it through teaching, acting or writing. My voice wants to, needs to, be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment