Friday, February 14, 2014

Saudi Pop Art: Finding Inspiration and Empowerment

Last night I went to my first ever artist's exhibition! 

There is a local artists' gallery here in Riyadh (to my tremendous surprise) called Alaan. It was quite inconspicuous -- tucked way on a side ride in the middle of the capital. Obviously, artists in Saudi must be careful about promoting their art too boldly. After all, religious authorities could always claim that their art is a false representation of life which conservative interpreters of the Koran consider to be haram (forbidden by the Qu'ran). 

Alaan artspace, according their website "...is a multi-functional contemporary gallery, educational hub, library, restaurant, shop and coffeehouse located in the heart of Riyadh. Dedicated to nurturing emerging and established contemporary artists and designers from Saudi Arabia, the region and across the globe...Alaan offers a platform for curated exhibitions and a non-profit educational forum for artists, creative practitioners and art enthusiasts of all ages" 

"Alaan - which means 'now' in Arabic - reflects the energy of the art scene in Saudi Arabia and the feeling in Riyadh that a space such as this is long overdue."

I discovered the artist, Fida Alhussan of @fidaart on Instagram after having attended the Terra Eclat (Saudi jewelry designer) show last weekend. This is how Saudi works. Nothing is out in the open, but once you get "in" - invited to a certain event, a whole world opens up to you! But you really do have to put forth an effort and look for it. Social media has played such an instrumental role in allowing Saudi men and women to showcase their talents, inspiration, projects and ideas. During the Arab Spring thousands of journalists wrote enthusiastically about the power of social media in the Middle East and its influence on society. I am just so happy to see it being used to spread messages of creativity and passion here in Saudi Arabia!

The exhibition was not exactly what I expected it to be. It was rather quiet and subdued, but the atmosphere within the space was very nice and welcoming. I walked around the one room gallery and was positively mesmerized by the artwork. I have always enjoyed Pop art. Though not an artist myself, I frequently peeked through the pages of my sister's IB Art portfolio in high school. She did studies of numerous artists and I loved learning about them through her. Andy Warhol, Robert Rauschenberg and Roy Lichenstein are the famous pop artists that I immediately fell in love with. I think I revere and appreciate most forms of art so deeply because I am such a poor artist myself. I think creatively but I cannot produce powerful creative works (at least not the way I envision them in my head). I consider art as a form of magic (another reason why it may be having so much trouble being accepted in Islamic societies).

I wanted to buy every single painting I saw. I was apprehensive about asking "how much" pieces cost. I didn't want to seem offensive, but I was desperate to own one of Fida's paintings. I crossed my fingers that there would be something available within my price range! I tracked down the curator or manager (couldn't exactly figure out what his title was) and inquired about the price of the painting below. As I held my breath waiting for him to answer and imagining all the zeros I was sure were soon to come out of his mouth, he said a number I could actually afford! Without trying to sound like too much of a "newbe" I said rather quickly, "Ok, well, um, would it be possible for me to take it, I mean buy it?" Within a flash it was mine! 

So voila, my first piece of "professional" art work! 


*My sister and I got into a small debate about what exactly defines "professional art". She believes "professional art" is art produced by an artist who is successful enough to make a living through the selling of their art. My definition was somewhat narrower: I believe professional art to be any art showcased at an exhibition that can be purchased. 


My first purchased painting! 



I felt so powerful buying a piece of art work. Recently I have gained an even deeper appreciation for my independence. I have a job that fulfills me and money to spare in the bank. Unlike years past I have become more "ok" with treating myself to nice items and buying myself art or jewelry that has significant meaning. Spending my money in such a way - on trips and beautiful items - is very empowering. I felt so happy handing over my money and watching my purchase get wrapped up tenderly in bubble wrap. 

I work hard for my money and am unashamed to say that I deserve the occasional "gift" to myself. I used to feel guilty about spending money on myself but now that I've been single for almost five years, I find I get a tremendous sense of joy and empowerment when spending money on myself. It symbolizes the fact that I don't need a man to provide for me. I can take care of myself. I suddenly recall Walt Whitman's famous lines, "I celebrate myself and sing myself..."

Today was indeed a celebration. 
A celebration of women, of independence, of creativity and power, but above all, it was a celebration of me. 


Some other stunning pieces in the collection....



Fida draws inspiration from a variety of contemporary sources. She believes that we are "all the same" no matter whether you are dressed as a Saudi or an American, we are all the same.....




I was very close to buying the painting on the right....in the end I went with the more "Arab" portrait. 



I absolutely LOVED this painting. I asked the artist if the woman was Drew Barrymore but she said no, it was just a "made up woman" she designed, borrowing beautiful features from an assortment of women. Still really feel like its Drew Barrymore though...





So much love. I wish my walls could be covered with all of these paintings! 



After I made several circumambulations around the room, I wandered upstairs to Alaan's restaurant and enjoyed a nice coffee underneath this interesting wall installation. 



This painting is displayed at the front entrance of Alaan. It is a beautiful wall mural by a young female Saudi artist depicting a woman's migration (into nothingness)...

No comments:

Post a Comment