Sunday, February 9, 2014

Social Butterflying

This past Thursday I went to the British Embassy to attend a jewelry party by a well-known Saudi British designer named Ranya Seraj. Her line is called "Terra Eclat". She makes absolutely beautiful hand-crafted jewelry from raw and natural materials, metals and stones. I bought myself a beautiful aquamarine silver ring as an early Birthday present! 

Though I attended the garden party with some of my teaching friends/colleagues, I met some very interesting people including the jewelry designer herself and a young Saudi photographer. He was very kind and after I smiled at him trying to take a candid picture of me, we started chatting about culture and life and living in Saudi Arabia. He photographs mostly cityscapes but is hired to photograph at private events and functions in Riyadh. He's made me curious about the art scene here in Riyadh and since meeting him I have started looking up young modern Saudi artists and have been surprised to find a burgeoning underground contemporary art scene. I'm discovering all this via Instagram. Its pretty fascinating and is inspiring me to go out more and meet people in the city. I don't know why I thought I could only attend western-sponsored events, I'd like to go to Saudi art galleries and other quiet functions and meet actual Saudi people: young and passionate professionals like myself. True, language is a barrier, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of people who speak English quite well here. Saudi Arabia has a huge number of over-educated (as well as its fair share of grossly under-educated) young professionals looking for opportunities to grow and change things. 

Here are some pictures of the jewelry party by my new photographer friend, Thamer (to protect his privacy I won't divulge his full name).

** The last two are my favorite!









No comments:

Post a Comment