Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Proud Teaching Moments

Just a random assortment of pictures that capture some of my favorite teaching moments from this school year. 

I honestly find at least one thing every single day that inspires me or makes me feel happy to be a teacher. There are tough days and frustrating incidents constantly, and having come from working in a challenging alternative public school, I have come to expect a great deal of difficulty and frustration when it comes to teaching. That being said, as a result of those early "tough experiences" I am much more appreciative of those great moments whenever they do come along. I have a profound appreciation for the small acts and moments of joy in the classroom. That really is the key to finding happiness isn't it? Being grateful for the "little things"? I cherish them all and use them to fuel my determination to get through the tough times....


Recent gift from a student. It brought me to tears. She made me these bracelets and wrote me a moving note thanking me for listening to her and for inspiring her to think of herself in a more positive light and not put herself down so much. A powerful reminder to myself to take my own advice....



These are some of my freshmen girls who I ran alongside during the Terry Fox run. They have adopted my little stuffed pug (naming him "Winston") and have made him our official class mascot. Their positivity and spirit and energy inspire me to laugh and embrace the ridiculousness of life. 



Yes...."Winston" the pug is a popular class pet. Though I don't love the fact that my student fell asleep in class, the fact is he didn't even need to show up that day (senior mock exams), so I was touched that he felt comfortable enough to fall asleep in my room! 



Whenever my boys make misogynistic or degrading comments about women I make them wear my abaya in class. I have seen a SIGNIFICANT reduction in bigoted comments! 
Nothing like a little public shaming to make a point....



After a rough day in class a few weeks ago (some freshman boys just couldn't stop laughing and being immature little hyenas impeding me from moving forward with the unit I was teaching) two of my girls brought me these personalized cupcakes to "cheer me up"! I was blown away by their thoughtfulness. It's these little acts of kindness that reaffirm my faith in humanity and inspire me to work hard to spread kindness through education. 



Taking one of my seniors on a tour of Boston schools to complete his interviews this winter. Though he can't apply to Wellesley  I just couldn't resist the opportunity to show him my alma matter and my beloved Shakespeare house and share my memories of the place and love for Shakespeare (he had just finished being taught Hamlet....) 



After I helped one of my students prepare for his RADA audition in London, he thanked me by brining me the program for one of my favorite musicals (that I have yet to have the good fortune to see). Was a very thoughtful and kind gesture that brightened my morning! 


One of my former students in Chelsea. This girl is a phenomenal young woman who has fallen off the road to success again and again but she keeps coming back! Though she is now a mother, she has a plan to stay on track with school via home tutoring! Though I do not condone teenage pregnancy, I think it is important to be supportive of the choices teenagers make and regardless of my personal opinion, I need to be a loving and compassionate resource to her to help her achieve success (as opposed to turning my back and condemning her actions) 



 Another student who had had a tough journey. He's had lots of bumps along the way and unfair obstacles thrown in his direction, but he too keeps fighting and coming back and motivating himself to preserve his education and advance himself and way of life. A sweet and caring young man who I am proud to have taught. 


Visiting my former school and students this past Christmas was truly heartbreaking. The second I stepped inside the high school building and walked down my former teaching corridor  I felt a powerful sense of remorse for having left them to come to Saudi. They need me, they need good, passionate, and energetic teachers. How could I have left them? For what? For "adventure", "success", for selfish personal reasons? What I wouldn't give to have them all come to school here in Saudi! The support and education they could receive were they privileged enough to come to a school like this would be astronomical. All children deserve an amazing education. All children deserve quality teachers. All children deserve a chance to succeed. 

Success cannot be defined by test scores or income or nationality. Likewise, "quality" teachers cannot be "made" through meaningless and expensive professional development sessions or workshops. True education happens between real humans. Young, old, rich poor. Not machines or tests or manuals or strategies. True education is honest and genuine interactions between humans. That is the secret to being an effective and powerful teacher. Just tell the truth and love your students so much it hurts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment